The winners securing a share of a recent £3 million investment for low carbon development and demonstration projects in the niche vehicle sector have been announced at LCV 2018.
Thirty projects have been successful in receiving grant funding from the Niche Vehicle Network competitions, collectively supported by Innovate UK, the Office for Low Emission Vehicles (OLEV) and the Advanced Propulsion Centre (APC).
Winning projects include the:
• Development of a first-of-a-kind integration of an efficient heating and cooling system for buses with a zero-emission fuel cell system
• Design and manufacture of a prototype hybrid motorcycle, using AIE’s Wankel powertrain
• Design, development and testing of an electric autonomous off-highway vehicle
• Demonstration of the technical and commercial feasibility of an innovative floor pan for passive forced air cooling of EV battery packs
• Production of a lightweight composite automotive coil spring
• Transfer of technology from the niche vehicle sector into the electrified cycle market
• The development of titanium brake calipers using waste titanium
• The creation of graphene enhanced composite body panels
• The demonstration of Active Charge Cooling for boosted IC engines
• The development and testing of thermal energy storage systems within buses
All of the projects will receive 50% of their project costs and will cover the balance of the project costs with their own resources. All of the projects are collaborative between at least three UK-based companies active in the low carbon vehicle technology sector.Back to News